July 12, 2013
Planning is underway for the annual PCPCS Leaders’ Summit which will be held the weekend of November 1-3, 2013 at the Hilton Hotel in Harrisburg.
The Summit is the annual opportunity for Pennsylvania charter schools leaders to be exposed to new ideas, share experiences, form new collaborations, and return to implement improvements in their schools. Expected attendance is approximately 300 CEOs and Board members from brick and mortar and cyber charter schools serving 119,000 children throughout the state. It is not yet possible to register for the Summit, but here’s a peek at what attendees can expect.
Saturday is a day packed full of Idea Sessions crossing multiple disciplines. The underlying philosophy for the day is to create an environment which is fast-paced, eclectic, and specifically designed to expose attendees to new ideas and conflicting points of view. It is our intent to open minds to new possibilities and create new connections – both within their minds and with other charter school leaders.
The Sunday Discussion Groups will focus on the sharing of information and experiences among the attendees on issues which they define either in advance of the meeting, as a result of what they hear on Saturday, or topics they choose on site.
Here’s a sampling less than half of the more than 50 people, ideas, and experiences to which attendees will be exposed.
- Dr. William Harner, Acting Pennsylvania Secretary of Education (invited)
- Dr. Howard Fuller, Distinguished Professor of Education and Director of the Institute for the Transformation of Learning, Marquette University
- Michelle Rhee, Founder and CEO, StudentsFirst (invited)
- Dr. Kay Merseth, Director of the Teacher Education Program, Harvard Graduate School of Education
- Christine Flanagan, Director, Student Experience Lab, Business Innovation Factory
- Honorable Jeffery Piccola, former Chair, Education Committee, Pennsylvania Senate
- Paloma Garcia-Lopez, Executive Director, The Maker Education Initiative
- Dovie Thomason –Native American storyteller and consultant to NASA and Hollywood
- Cheryl Charles – CEO, Children and Nature Network
- Robin Lake, Director, Center for Reinventing Education (invited)
- Dr. James Goenner, President and CEO, National Charter School Institute
- Alex Hernandez, Partner, Charter School Growth Fund
- Dr. John DeFlaminis, Executive Director, Penn Center for Educational Leadership, University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education
- Panel of school district superintendents on how traditional and charter schools can work together more effectively
- Panel on compliance including the Auditor General’s Office, Office of Open Records and Department of Education
- Panel of legislators from the House and Senate on the politics of education
- Discussion group on authenticating the cyber learning experience
- Discussion group on the definition and attainment of “Quality” in education
- Discussion group on the uniqueness, challenges, and opportunities of being a charter school in Philadelphia
- Discussion group on not settling for merely good governance
More content and ideas to come…