Educator Effectiveness System for use with Educational and Specialists Licensed Professionals
August 05, 2013
Pennsylvania Department of Education
Office of Executive Deputy Secretary
August 5, 2013
The Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) invites all school districts, charter schools, intermediate units, and career and technical centers to join us in the continued development and implementation of a new educator effectiveness system for use with educational specialists and licensed professionals.
During the 2013 fall pilot of the Educator Effectiveness System, participating evaluators and educational specialists and licensed professionals will be using rubrics to assign performance ratings. While performance ratings are not intended to be used to make high stakes decisions (e.g., they should not become a part of an employee’s personnel file, etc.), they will serve to reflect the appropriateness and use of the rubrics within the evaluation process for educational specialists and licensed professionals.
The content within the rubrics (including descriptions of performance relative to professional standards and guidelines and exemplars) will be reviewed and discussed by the evaluator and employee who will then each independently complete a survey that will be used to inform ongoing validation efforts.
Expectations for participation in the fall 2013 pilot include:
1. Each evaluator will have a pre-conference with the employee.
2. Each evaluator will conduct an observation utilizing the respective employee’s rubric.
3. Each evaluator and employee will review the evidence collected (post-conference).
4. Evaluators will submit ratings for individual educational specialists and licensed professionals via an online data collection form by Dec. 16, 2013.
5. All evaluators and employees will also complete a survey that will ask various questions about the use of the rubrics within the context of their role and function, professional services and the evaluation process in general. The survey should be completed by all evaluators and employees by Dec. 16, 2013.
Educators are encouraged to participate and offer valuable feedback to PDE regarding the application and appropriateness of the rubrics. If interested, please complete the following online registration form that can be found at http://webapps.pattan.net/tes/splp/ . Questions regarding the fall pilot should be directed to Angela Kirby-Wehr at email@example.com .