PA Charter Schools: Opportunities and Questions – EPLC “Focus on Education” TV Program on PCN – May 11 at 3:00 p.m.
May 08, 2014
The next EPLC “Focus on Education” episode will air this coming Sunday, May 11 at 3:00 p.m. on PCN television. This May 11 panel will discuss what charter schools are, where they’re located, what parents need to know when considering a charter school, how charter schools are funded, how they are held accountable for student performance, who charter students are, what charter school “reform” efforts are being considered by state legislators, why charters are so controversial in some places, and other issues related to charter schools.
The panel will include:
- Ron Cowell, President of The Education Policy and Leadership Center (EPLC) and Host of the “Focus on Education” programs;
- Rep. James R. Roebuck, Jr., Democratic Chairman, PA House Education Committee;
- Maurice “Reese” Flurie, Ed.D., CEO, Commonwealth Connections Academy;
- Lawrence F. Jones, Jr., Founding CEO, Richard Allen Preparatory Charter School and President, Pennsylvania Coalition of Public Charter Schools; and
- Nathan G. Mains, Executive Director, Pennsylvania School Boards Association.
Visit the EPLC web site for resources on charter schools.
“Focus on Education” is a monthly program focusing on education issues in Pennsylvania. Past
episodes are available at eplc.org and have covered Public and School Libraries, K-12 and Early Education, Governor Corbett’s Proposed Education Budget for 2014-15, Special Education, Arts Education, Parents as Education Advocates, the School Dropout Crisis, How Public Education is Funded, The Work of School Boards, Student Testing, and School Safety Issues.
“Focus on Education” typically airs on the second Sunday of each month at 3:00 p.m. EST on Pennsylvania Cable Network (PCN) and then airs again several times throughout the same month.