Data on Charter School Enrollment
September 19, 2016
Based on October 1, 2015 data from PDE, here are some interesting facts on public school enrollment in Pennsylvania.
- There are 1,727,352 students in 500 school districts
- 499 of those districts have at least one student in a charter school
- 134,925 students are in charter schools (111,675 regular ed and 23,250 special ed)
- Charter schools represent 7.81% of the total enrollment in K-12 public schools. Note: this is up from 6% a few years ago.
- 26 districts have more than 10% of their students in charters
- Those 26 districts (roughly 5% of the 500), account for 95,961 of the 134,925 students in charter schools (71%)
- The three districts with the highest percentage of students in charters are Chester-Upland (53.48%), Philadelphia (34.46%), and Wilkinsburg (30.20%)